Thursday, June 23, 2011

Arrival

Finishing up my first day in Australia. In about half an hour a group from my hostel will be making its nightly social organized outing. Tonight incidentally, is to a place called Soho.

Travel was uneventful, a ease unknown to me. Asiana Airlines is sufficient. Meals were pretty poor but service was good. It is pronounced Ásian-a vs a-si-á-na which I still think sounds cooler. I got a shuttle to my hostel right away.

I haven’t experienced a grand moment where I realize I’m an immigrant trying to move to another country with a very fluid if not sparse plan. But this is how I’ve always been. It never ‘hits’ me in a definable moment. I can be present in terms of location very easily. My mind adjusts quickly to wherever I am. There isn’t a huge anxiety ridden excitement but more of a calm acceptance and peace with a bit of excitement. I’m where I am supposed to be at this time in my life. This is home now. Or it will be very soon.

I spent the day lounging at my hostel, talking with fellow travelers, briefly checking of email, playing billiards, taking a quick nap that I wish could have been longer. My hostel is great. Jackaroo is ranked #3 on Hostel World and I can see why. The owners are very present making improvements and talking to guests. Each night there are planned social events and they provide free internet.

I also wandered around the town. I’m in Sydney but it is divided into distinct neighborhoods or suburbs. Right now I am in Kings Cross, truly a crossroads of the up and coming neighborhood and the desire to stay seedy. Walk a few blocks in one direction and hit a row of cheap cell phone stores and strip clubs. Walk the other way and find charming bistros and parks. I’m pleased to note that my sense of direction does seem to be better here even without a grid. It was 180 degrees wrong at all times in the US. My hope is that since bodies are 78% water (or something to that effect) and the water flows that other way here (a fact I have yet to verify) that my body was just attuned to the wrong hemisphere before.

A few other things I’ve noticed:

Nobody crosses the street before the walk sign is on. In NYC if you were not already half way across at that point you are late. I’ve already found myself alone in the middle of the road a few times. The road in which I might get run over because I have not gotten used to looking the right way.

Moving in winter was not a problem. It is sunny and spring like.

I will be eating a lot of noodles or the equivalent because food is expensive.

Rent is cheaper but you also have less bedroom space than NYC. It does seem there are more common areas in the same apartments.

It has a noticeably different vibe than NYC (sarcastic “surprise” to that observation). I also don’t think it is quite like Boston or DC either. Granted, these observations are made after a day lost in the travel time vortex and while staying in a predominantly backpacker area of town.

For the next few days my plan is to get an apartment, tax number, and wander around aimlessly taking in all the new sights.

2 comments:

  1. Jen, I am so happy for you. I had a chance to meet you at the NY Toastmasters and I loved the way you spoke. It inspired me!

    I know what it means to move to a new country with nothing but a suitcase...Believe me the most amazing things happen out of uncertainty. maybe that is the juice of life.

    I hope you keep telling your adventures and enjoying every moment that you have. Congrats in your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you talk about your experiences finding an apartment because I am finding this extremely frustrating at the moment

    ReplyDelete