Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Muse

In Greek mythology they were called muses.  In ancient Rome there was a guiding spirit called a genius.  And a contemporary author calls it an externalized collaborator.  The persona of creativity takes many forms.

The Radiolab podcast 'Help' from March 2011 tackles the issue of encouraging ourselves to make changes, including tapping the creative force. As an aside, if you have never heard a Radiolab podcast, I highly recommend their program.  My sister introduced it to me last year and it has given us both a plethora of interesting facts for almost any topic at parties.

Back to the issue at hand.

While figuring out my driving passion and how that can translate to a career, the answer I want to see is not coming quickly enough.  It sits in an idealized and unclear format with the added pressure of needing to make the break "worth it".  In leaving a job obviously ill-suited to my nature, I want the next one to be an amazing fit.  That has created an unnecessary burden to figure it all out before taking a step and my creative mind is hiding from the pressure.

It echoes how I have approached my blog and even how I think of adventure.  After months of not publicly writing, I want my next adventure to be monumental.  But what makes the cut?  Especially when compared to the entity that was Australia.  Do my trips to the Caribbean count?  Or volunteering with Habitat?  Or freelancing with exciting event and start up companies? 

Of all the suggestions given in the podcast, the one I most enjoyed was the concept as creativity as a muse, something tangible.  Maybe because it is the only optimistic idea in a sea of pills that make you sick and burning the boats.  Getting in touch with this muse takes different forms.  Sometimes you need to speak to it in a soft voice.  At other times being like a parent threatening to ground a stubborn teenager is required.  But you always need to create the right environment.  The light bulb had a series of other developments that had to be in place before it could even be in the mind of inventors.  Once the environment was right, multiple designers starting working on it at the same time.

With that in mind, I began to think of my favorite inspiring environments.  I can easily shift to spend more time in these type of settings without knowing any other puzzle pieces.  By being around inspiring people and ideas, I will either get inspiration (the likely scenario) or at least have a lot more fun with the confusion (which isn't a bad second option).


My Muse Environments:

The moment in dancing, specifically in a graceful waltz, where everything else fades away allowing the beauty to shine and each step just happens without thought.

Watching someone who is terrified of something take the first step in overcoming it.  Bonus points if I somehow get to help.

Looking at great photography. (Shameless plug, the link takes you to my Dad's amazing work)

Anything that involves play, especially if everyone involved can let go of appearances and true laughter spontaneously erupts.

House parties with lovely random conversations from the mundane to life changing, with board games thrown in for good measure.

Picnic on a warm day with a light breeze.  In the shade as I burn in two seconds.

Strategic planning with a great team in laid back surroundings. Like around a bonfire while drinking warm apple cider.  That sounds marvelous.

No comments:

Post a Comment